Carbon Monoxide is an invisible, tasteless, odorless gas that can cause illness or death in minutes, because people are unaware that they are breathing it.  The poisonous fumes come from improperly operated generators, gas stoves, lanterns, charcoal grills, and other gasoline- powered tools.

  • Generators should be operated at least ten feet away from the house/building in a well-ventilated area.
  • Never use gas ranges or gas ovens to heat your home.
  • Cars should never be run with the garage door closed.
  • Use caution with all CO producing devices.
  • Install a Carbon Monoxide detector in your home; check the batteries annually.
  • Be sure all heating systems in your home/building operate correctly.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are drowsiness, headache, dizziness, nausea, and confusion.  If someone has these symptoms, move them to a well-ventilated area outdoors and get immediate medical attention.  Providing them with 100 per cent oxygen through an oxygen mask is the first priority.

It is vital to public health to educate people on the proper installment and safe operation of heaters, appliances, fireplaces, and other tools operated by gasoline.  Being aware of the dangers of this type of poisoning is of the utmost importance.

Texas DSHS