HAPPY NEW YEAR! We hope you all survived the holidays, and are ready to gear up for another year. We have found some interesting observances during the month of January, and will pass part of them on:
- National Birth Defects Prevention Month, (March of Dimes)
- National Blood Donor Month
- National Book Blitz Month
- Cervical Health Awareness Month
- Crime Stoppers Month
- Eye Health Month
- Fiber Focus Month
- Glaucoma Awareness Month (Prevent Blindness America)
- School Board Month
- Thyroid Disease Awareness Month
Here’s a little “January Trivia”, Days of Interest:
- 1st – New Years’ Day, Of Course!
- 15th – First Superbowl game (Green Bay Packers beat the Kansas City Chiefs, 1967)
- 19th – Texas State Holiday – Confederate Heroes Day
- 19th – Also National Popcorn Day!
- 20th – Inauguration Day! Since 1937, this has been the day set aside for a new US President. If the 20th falls on Sunday, it is moved to the next day.
- 24th – California Gold Discovery Day, 1848, at Sutters Mill.
- 25th – First Emmy Awards, 1949
- 25th – Elvis’ First #1 hit released, “Heartbreak Hotel”, 1956
- 27th – In 1880, the first electric light was patented
- 27th – Viet Nam Peace Accord, 1973. End of the Viet Nam War.
- 28th – U.S. Coast Guard was established in 1915.
Good luck and best wishes to everyone in 2009. The ideal resolution to make: to go through this entire year without having an accident, whether at home, work or play.