It’s hard to find anyone who isn’t stressed out in this hurry-up world of ours. Signs of a stressful life that could be affecting your health are:
- Feeling that your life is out of control
- Trouble falling asleep or staying asleep
- Skipping meals or eating on the run because of lack of time
- Frequent illness
- Feeling run-down and/or too tired to exercise
- Eating, drinking or smoking when you are nervous
- Having difficulty saying No
Try these quick relaxation tips:
- Laugh away your worries. Keep humorous articles handy to read and share.
- Massage your temples, shoulders and neck.
- Get in a comfortable position. Take a long, slow, deep breath to the count of 5. Then exhale to the count of 5. Imagine that you are breathing out excess tension and breathing in relaxation. With each breath, say to yourself, “Relax”. Repeat 10 times.
Do these simple stretches: (You can even do them sitting or standing at your desk.)
- Upper Back Stretch: Sitting straight with your fingers interlaced behind your head, and keeping your shoulders down, lift your chest and bring your elbows back as far as you can. Hold 10 seconds.
- Overhead Reach: Raise your arms over your head and interlace your fingers with palms facing up. Stretch upwards, keeping your shoulders down. Hold for 20 seconds.
- Shoulder Rotations: Sit up straight. Bring shoulders up toward your ears and then back behind you. Move them forward, making imaginary circles. Roll shoulders forward 10 times, then roll shoulders in the reverse direction 10 times.
- Waist Bend: Standing, reach arms overhead with fingers laced together. Face forward with shoulders down, bend to one side from the waist. Hold for 20 seconds. Repeat on the other side. Repeat 10 times.
Now, don’t just read this; try it! Hope it helps!