It’s a fact that mold has been on this earth for millions of years.  It is also a fact that we must deal with it, and get rid of it in order to have better air quality for everyone, especially those who are very sensitive to it.  Molds are found in damp, warm conditions.  Outdoors, it is in shady, moist areas.  Experts say there are hundreds of types of mold; however, it isn’t necessary to know what type you are concerned with.  Indoors it may be lurking in places where the humidity is high, such as basements or showers.  It is important to know how to safely get rid of mold if it is in your home or workplace.

When you are removing mold, it is imperative that you wear the correct personal protective equipment: There must be good ventilation, with doors and windows open if possible.  Never mix ammonia or other cleaners with bleach, as this could create dangerous fumes.  A mixture of 10% bleach with water will solve small problems.  If you have had a leak around fixtures, repair them as soon as possible.  Sometimes it is necessary to have professional treatment to eradicate the mold problem.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, some areas where there is a high exposure to mold are:

  • Greenhouses
  • Flower Shops
  • Summer Cottages
  • Antique Shops
  • Farms
  • Mills
  • Construction Areas
  • Saunas

The air we breathe contains mold spores, and certain persons are more sensitive to mold, and may have reactions such as upper respiratory tract infections, coughing, wheezing, and even asthma.  Because our immune systems are exposed to harmful mold organisms, excess moisture should be controlled in order to reduce its presence in our homes and workplaces.  Keeping humidity levels between 40% and 60%, using air conditioners or dehumidifiers during humid months, and providing adequate ventilation will help us all breathe a little easier!