For Americans, February 2nd is Groundhog Day. All eyes in Pennsylvania are focused on Punxsutawney Phil to see if he sees his shadow, meaning we will have six more weeks of winter, or early spring if he doesn’t. It’s been a pretty tough winter so far; maybe he can let us know if we need to keep out the warm layers of clothes needed to protect us.
One thing for sure, we have a busy, but short month ahead of us, (especially for you sports fans):
- NASCAR fans will need their NASCAR hardhats and a good set of earplugs for the Daytona Shootout, Sprint Car Series on February 6th, followed by the Daytona 500 on February 14th. We’ll be talking more later about safety precautions that are taken to protect the drivers as they rev up for a new season.
- Super Bowl Sunday falls on February 7th! The New Orleans Saints will make their debut at this year’s big game, facing off against the Indianapolis Colts. Congratulations to both teams and their fans. Look for loyal fans wearing Saints and Colts hardhats!
- For those sports fans who just can’t get enough action, head up to Vancouver for the Winter Olympic Games taking place February 12th through 21st. If you can’t make the trip, you can cheer your team on via big-screen (or little screen) television.
- Don’t forget your sweetheart on Valentines’ Day, February 14th.
- February 15th, the third Monday of the month, is President’s Day.
February is American Heart Month-Love Your Heart! Taking care of your body through exercise, diet, and less stress might possibly save your life. Seriously, think about all the things you can do to have a healthy heart, not only during American Heart Month, but all year. Instead of candy this Valentines’ Day, how giving yourself or a loved one a gift membership to a fitness center? Exercise is the key to good heart health.
It’s hard to know what Phil will forecast for the future, weather-wise, as least. We can’t make predictions either, but we must close by saying that if we could, it would be to see a successful rebuilding period for the people of Haiti, who were devastated by the January 12th earthquake, resulting in better lives for all their citizens. Persons from all over the globe have come together to work harder than they ever have, and have shown what true teamwork can accomplish.
Have a safe, healthy, and happy February!