Sent to us by Jake @

Working with electrical wiring can be very dangerous. This is particularly true for those who have never worked with wiring before. If you are planning to complete a do-it-yourself wiring job, you need to understand the dangers of working with wiring and how you can avoid these dangers. Safety should always be your primary concern. Even though it may be a bit less expensive to do your own repair jobs and home maintenance, it is always a much better idea to call in a professional if you are not completely certain of what you are doing. Electrical shock can be fatal and is one of the most common incidents that occur when homeowners work on their own wiring. Aside from electrical shock, you also risk a fire hazard if your wiring is not done properly. That being said, here are a few tips that will help you to ensure your safety when working with electricity. 

1.       Know when you are in over your head. Again, if you are not a professional electricity expert, you should know when to call one. If at any time you realize that you are completely unsure of what you are doing, stop and call in an electrician. It is much better to pay a few extra dollars and get the job done properly than to risk electrical shock or fire.

2.       Make sure that all power is turned off before you begin working on any electrical wiring. You should turn off the power at the main and check to see that it is indeed turned off. You can turn off each individual circuit as needed as long as you check to ensure that the proper circuit is turned off before you begin. If you are not certain as to which circuit runs the electricity you need to turn off, turn off the entire main just to be on the safe side.

3.       Wear gloves when possible to protect your hands. When working with electrical wiring, there may be sharp points or edges that can cause you to cut yourself. Protect yourself from injury by wearing work gloves whenever you can.

4.       Rubber boots can help to protect you when working with electricity as well. Remember that water and electricity do not mix well so if you are working with electricity and there is any chance that water or dampness may be evident, wearing rubber boots can help you to avoid electrical shock. Rubber boots will stop an electrical current from reaching your body. Make sure that you check your rubber boots to ensure that there are no holes that could allow water to touch your feet.

5.       Safety glasses are very important when working with electricity. These will help you to protect your eyes from dust and debris as well as electrical sparks. If you are working with electrical wiring and you need to cut holes or otherwise drill into a wall or ceiling, safety glasses will ensure that you do not get debris in your eyes that could cause infection or in very extreme cases, blindness. 

This article was written by Electric Point, electrical wholesalers in the UK.