Another valuable lesson on electric safety sent to us by Grace Beckett.

Electricity always finds a way to the earth, and the human body, most often, is an excellent path to earth. Generally electricity is used at a lower voltage to resuscitate a human heart. However, at higher voltages, it has the potential to stop a beating heart and cause cellular damage. The fatality of the current depends on the path it takes in the human body. It causes major destruction to the heart and brain. 

Electric shocks occur when the human body comes in contact with an electricity source. This causes an amount of electric current to pass through the layers of the skin, hair or muscles. If the voltage of these shocks is over 500V, it can cause burns on the skin. Electric shocks higher than 600V can cause cardiac damage, neural damage and finally death due to electrocution in people depending on their resistance capacity. So, avoid electrocution by following simple measures around your house. 

Protect all electrical outlets 

Maximum number of electric shock injuries is caused due to unprotected electric outlets. Children usually insert objects of metal into these objects while they are switched on, and end up hurt. You can try fixing these outlets away from your child’s reach. A safer method would be to protect these outlets with outlet covers available in the market. Never unplug or plug in an appliance when the switch is on. 

Keep an eye on extension cords

If extension cords are frayed or not used properly, they can cause electric shocks. Keep inspecting all the cords around your house for any sign of damage. Make sure that you do not overload any sockets. Do not pull the cord while disconnecting it. Pull the plug from the socket, but only after turning off the switch. 

Keep electric appliances away from water 

People generally have the habit of using blow dryers and other hair styling products in the bathroom. Water and electricity are a dangerous combination and can cause electrocution. So, do not use any electrical appliance in the bathroom or near kitchen sinks. Do not spill water near any electric outlet. Do not use any electrical appliance with wet hands. 

Ensure your circuits are grounded 

Major electric problems occur when high-power appliances and circuits around the house are not grounded. Protect all the circuits by using GFCIs – Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters – that can prevent electrocution. 

Do not be a dare devil 

When there are storms outside, it can result in frequent lightning strikes and loose live power lines around the neighbourhood. Do not be adventurous and walk into a death trap. If you are caught in a storm, look for safe shelter indoors and stay there until the storm passes away. 

What to do when someone is electrocuted 

  • Do not attempt to touch the victim while still being electrocuted
  • Move the victim only if there is a chance for immediate danger
  • Do not attempt to provide first-aid
  • Call for help immediately 

XYZ is an expert with PASS Ltd. They specialise in PAT testing courses, so you can actually book courses online and gain knowledge from them on testing electrical equipment.